Wednesday, March 7, 2012

M.O.M. Challenge Day 7

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

M.O.M. CHALLENGE DAY 7

Solomon continues today with his fatherly advice full of Wisdom. Seems like avoiding temptation is a pop-top (popular topic) with Solomon (specifically listening to the flattery of a promiscuous woman- a.k.a. hoochie mama- to avoid adultry.)  Well, I am tempted to discount this chapter as not applying at all to me, because I am not tempted by hoochie mamas, nor am I myself a hoochie mama!  I certainly do not need to worry about their flattery leading me down their wayward path...but...As I was reading today's chapter in Proverbz my mind sort of blossomed and I began to think of how any temptation could be described the same way as Solomon described the immoral woman in this chapter. Sin is sin, right? I think that EVERYTHING GOD put in the BIBLE applies to me somehow, or it would not be there...in other words: everything has the potential to teach me a lesson, if I have a teachable spirit.  I think that being open to learn from GOD is the beginning of wisdom...if I had just scanned this reading today, and closed the book thinkin' it does not apply to me, then I would have missed a great teaching...not to mention appearing (in GOD's sight) as prideful... It is no surprise to HIM that I was reading this chapter today, so I asked HIM..."Whatchya' got planned to teach me today, DADDY?" I believe that HE wants me(us) to know that any temptation for any sin can be described like Solomon describes the immoral woman in Proverbs 7. 

For example dieting.... I know when I am focusing on weight loss if I even look at a temptrous (in this case we're talking about a cupcake!) I am led off my path of a healthy diet no matter how strong I think my will is.  If I even take one glance in the direction of that lil' cupcake, my mind is on it all day long and before I know it I begin to talk myself into "just one little bite"! I know that I need to run, not walk away from sugary treats...they are my downfall and while it can not really be compared to adultery, because an occasional cupcake is not like having an occasional affair...I know that when I am on the "right path" with my diet, by being focused on weight loss and healthy eating I can not even take one glance in the direction of treats. Treats can not be compared to sin. Nope. But I am just sayin' that I know what temptation is, and Solomon is right...it is best to avoid it all together!

Another example of the temptress for me is watching scary movies...I used to get suckered in to watching something I knew would "haunt" me. I would be with my friends at a slumber party and they would want to watch something that I knew I did not want to watch...As soon as the movie began I would be hooked and no matter how scary it got, I would not turn away...I was like "a bird flying into a snare or a stag caught in a trap, awaiting the arrow that would pierce" my heart. Again these things don't compare to the sin of adultery, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I am learning that when I do something that I know is wrong for me to do, it is a sin.

These "sins" may seem harmless to some, but I know where I have been...I know the sins, and temptations I used to battle...drugs, alcohol and sexual immorality...I have been delivered from darkness to light. But unfortunately, I know people who have died in their sins. I don't know why I was "spared", maybe to help teach others not to get too close to the edge...'cause it is a slippery slope!

I think that when you choose to stop learning or growing you experience death. Sure, we are all going to die, but while I am above ground I want to live life to the fullest...I have found that that does not include drugs or alcohol, nor does it always mean happiness and joy. I don't like being in a storm, but I have learned how & where to find shelter... IN GOD! I love how the Psalmist phrases it... 




Psalm 17:7-9

The Message (MSG)

6-7 I call to you, God, because I'm sure of an answer.
So—answer! bend your ear! listen sharp!
Paint grace-graffiti on the fences;
take in your frightened children who
Are running from the neighborhood bullies
straight to you.

8-9 Keep your eye on me;
hide me under your cool wing feathers
From the wicked who are out to get me,
from mortal enemies closing in.

 It may not be a sin for someone else to eat a cupcake for dessert, or to rent a thriller movie...but I know what lures me in...I am gaining wisdom!  Thank you, Daddy GOD for hiding me in your "feathers", and while I am hiding out you are teaching me what I need to know and being patient while I learn. I know that "FATHER KNOWS BEST"! I know that the wholesome goodness of GOD is way better than the thrill of the moment of a cupcake or anything else that would last for just a moment. "Sin will take you farther than you want to go, cost you more than you want to pay, and keep you longer than you want to stay..." Thank you, GOD, for Your WISDOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment